Cyberbullying on online platform could be more harmful than physical bullying as it brings more extensive, irreparable and enormous damages to the victims.
Digital Citizen: Let us be the Watchmen
According to the latest OECD (Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development) research, Hong Kong has a higher percentage of reported case of school bullying across 40 countries and cities. In fact, today’s cyberbullying on online platform could be more harmful than physical bullying as it brings more extensive, irreparable and enormous damages to the victims.
The problem of bullying stems from the mentality of the strong overpowering the weak, by giving vent of their misfortune and negative emotions to the less powerful ones. The acts of bullies, whether it is an intentional or unintentional offence to others, should not be tolerated and have to be ceased. However, why does school bullying gradually become “normal” in our daily lives? It might be attributed to the silence of ‘bystanders’ – their fears of becoming the next victims and mindset on letting matters rest. These bystanders might become the "accomplice" of the bullies, which allow the problem to exacerbate.
Hong Kong Association of Careers Masters and Guidance Masters has initiated ‘To-the-Watchman’ Project since 2009. Five positive interpersonal elements of ‘Take Care of Yourself and Watch Others’ were introduced in this chaotic environment:
- Company - We are willing to listen, accompany and accept.
- Rest - Learn to rest if you are tired; you can meditate, reflect and also be appreciative and grateful to get ready for a new start.
- Respect — Respect diversity with honesty, peace, sincerity and fairness as the bases of communication and mutual understanding.
- Care — Love each other; do not let hatred take over sanity; do not label because of identity, background or class.
- Hope — Always have hopes for the next generation and the future.
How could we introduce these elements as the qualities of digital citizens in the digital world?
How could we introduce the elements of Company, Rest, Respect, Care and Hope as the qualities of digital citizen in the digital world?